Exciting Upcoming Events
Read the Lenten Devotional here. Updated daily.
Sunday, March 9th
Join us for our next sermon series, "Meme: The Sermon Series".
A meme is something that passes on what we need not just to survive, but to thrive. It may be a genetic trait or a Big Idea.
The Big Idea we'll be passing on is the one that will help us address the issue above. And yes, what we say next just might change everything!!!
Want to read more about what to expect this Sunday? Read Fr. Rob's blog by clicking here.
How To Have a Holy Lent
For Lent, it is traditional that people give up something (a vice or something they enjoy) to commemorate Jesus’ movement toward the Cross. However, in the Episcopal and Anglican tradition, some people take things on – pick up a new discipline, try a new service, or attend a Bible study – to prepare for Easter.
This year during Lent, Saint Matthew’s will offer a variety of ways for you to recognize this holy time. We hope you will join us by participating in one (or more!) of the following:
Read the Lenten Devotional
Pick up your copy of the Lenten devotional. Please take an extra copy or two to share with a friend or neighbor. You can also read the daily devotions online on Facebook at www.facebook.com/StMatthewsEpiscopalChurch.
Lenten WatCH Series
At the heart of the Christian life are the spiritual practices that sustain our connection with God and each other. These typically include such things as prayer, meditation, and Bible study. We invite you to join us on Wednesdays during Lent from 7PM to 8PM as we consider various disciplines in depth and how we practice them. The goal of this series is to promote greater life mastery and the kind of rich spiritual life that alone brings the greatest sense of satisfaction.
Saturday Night Lenten WorshipSaturday, March 15 at 5:00 PM, please come out to our Lenten Worship Series. As mentioned last week, we will be using different liturgical styles of worship and Lectio Divina to prepare for Easter. This week’s style of worship and scripture meditation will be:
Style of Worship: “Low” style, from the resource Enriching Our Worship Meditation for Lectio Divina: “A New Commandment; Prediction to Peter” John 13:3128
Please join us for a new experience, Lenten discipline, and preparation for Easter. Childcare will be provided on Saturday evenings during Lent.
Youth Bible Study During Lent
We'll be meeting before school from 7:30-8:30am at the Corner Bakery in Cascades (46290 Cranston St., Sterling, VA). Anyone is welcome to join us for the whole time or stop by on your way to school. Hope to see you there!
Come join us for prayer and bible study to start the day during Lent.
Amazon Quick Link
Looking for a quick and easy way to support Saint Matt’s? When making a purchase on Amazon, use this link. That’s it! Using this link will share a small portion of your purchase with Saint Matthew’s. There’s no additional charge to you. Bookmark this link as you begin your holiday shopping! You can even use this link and a scrip gift card and double your impact!
Save the Date
Check out these important upcoming events:
- March 9th – Newcomers Welcome Reception
- March 11th – Outreach Meeting
- March 16th – Youth Mission Trip Mtg
- March 17th – 28th – Trip to Holy Land
- April 5th - Tabletop Game Day
- April 12th – Parish Work Day and Community Egg Hunt
- April 13th – Palm Sunday
- April 20th - Easter
- April 26th – Spring Yard Sale
- April 27th – Plant Exchange
- May 3rd – Love Your Neighbor, Feed Your Neighbor Food Collection
- June 22nd – 28th – Youth Mission Trip
- June 20th – 22nd – Family Campout
- July 28th – August 1st - VBS
- October 12th – 18th – Adult Mission Trip
The Vision of Saint Matthew's
To live life at its fullest in Christ.
The Mission of Saint Matthew's
To know and share God's love through the following actions:
- Do all in our power, and then some, to foster, nourish, and sustain authentic, living relationships with God in Christ
- Build a community devoted to becoming one human family in pursuit of God's dream for us
- Promote personal growth so that, with God's leading, help, and grace, we will more fully realize our God given potential and purpose
- Embrace the highest standards, as individuals, families, and a church, of love, dedication, honesty, integrity, and service
Last Updated on 3/8/2014 10:13:36 AM